A Pennsylvania dad was arrested after his 4-year-old kid died of a fentanyl overdose.
Avant Redding died in May while in his father’s care in Carnegie, and Van Marcus Redding, 36, was charged this week with his death.
Authorities have stated that Redding was charged with involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment, and a narcotics charge.
The circumstances behind the child’s ingestion of the hazardous medication were unknown.
According to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Redding picked up his kid around 1 p.m. on May 7 and took him to a family birthday celebration before stopping at McDonald’s for dinner.
After eating the Happy Meal, young Avant vomited and was “unsteady on his feet,” according to Redding.
He drove the youngster to the hospital but was involved in a vehicle accident on the way, subsequently informing authorities that the child was unwell when questioned about the accident.
WTAE stated that the youngster was deceased when he arrived at St. Clair Hospital.
Police searched Redding’s home and discovered a baggie of white powder and cash, which he said he sold from his home.
Avant died as a result of fentanyl intoxication according to authorities. The accused was denied bail and is expected back in court on Friday.