Police in McLaren Vale, south of Adelaide, allegedly found three youths street racing in unroadworthy automobiles.
At around 8:40 p.m. last night, police said speed cameras on Main Road caught three cars travelling at speeds of more than 135 kph in an 80 kph zone.
The operator alerted authorities, and all three drivers, ages 17, 18 and 19, were apprehended in Aldinga Beach a short time later.
They face significant charges, according to Senior Constable Matt Brown.
“It’ll be argued the three drivers all knew each other, were all wearing P-plates, had a passenger in their vehicle, and all three vehicles were defected for major safety violations, with the Holden Commodore car and the Mitsubishi Mirage having their exhaust systems removed,” he said.
The front seats of the Mirage appeared to be strapped to the chassis rather than bolted to the chassis.
A Holden Commodore waggon, the third vehicle involved, was said to have bald tyres.
Hoon fees have a new deadline.
Hoon drivers in South Australia will have 38 days to pay to get their impounded vehicles back under tighter rules that will take effect next month, according to the state government.
For persons who have been reported, arrested, or prosecuted with several driving offences, Police Minister Vincent Tarzia said retrieval procedures had previously been more flexible.
According to him, the new strict cut-off period would give drivers a narrow window to retrieve their vehicles before they were crushed or scrapped.
“Dangerous drivers, especially in recent years, are plain reckless and risk their own lives as well as the lives of other motorists,” he said.
According to numbers supplied under Freedom of Information to opposition police spokesman Lee Odenwalder, it cost SA Police $1.53 million to hold the 6,197 cars and 345 motorcycles it impounded in 2019–20.
Last month, the government enacted new legislation that, for the first time in South Australia, will see drivers risking jail time for excessive speeding.
After a decline in 2020, fines for speeding and running red lights have increased this year.
Charges have been filed in connection with a car accident in the driveway.
Yesterday, a lady was charged with causing a serious injury to a man in a driveway crash on Saturday night.
A 26-year-old Paralowie man was struck in the driveway on Begonia Drive at Eyre, in Adelaide’s north, according to police.
He was brought to the Royal Adelaide Hospital, where his condition is serious but stable.
A 32-year-old woman has been charged with a number of crimes, including endangering the life of others.
The driver and the suspected victim are said to be acquaintances, according to police.